Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Awakening


I absolutely loved this book. And I'm so glad that my daughter sent it my way to read because I wouldn't have probably of ever read it. For one, it was not on my list of my books to read.
I gave this book five stars. I thought it was an excellent read. The story was very believable. The time table was very romantic. And it really showed through especially because of the wealth Edna and her husband Leonce had. They had a lot of beautiful things. I loved how they took trips in the summer to Grand Isle. It was like a little community of people showing up every summer with little tiny houses strewn around. The sea was why everyone went there. People would enjoy swimming in the sea during the day. And at night they would stroll down by the sea to see the moon light glistening off of the sea. Very romantic indeed.
It would be very romantic for a married couple. But not very romantic for Edna and Leonce. They were more like friends. Edna started having feelings for another man, Robert at Grand Isle. And then right before the end of the summer was over, Robert was leaving for Mexico and it completely crushed and devastated Edna. The story didn't portray that they were having sex, just that they had strong feeling for each other. When Edna, Leonce and the two children got back to their home in New Orleans, Edna still remained depressed about Robert's leaving.
Edna's husband Leonce had to take a long trip away for a few months. It was work related. The maid that usually watched the children took the children to her own house to care for them while Leonce was gone. So Edna had all this time to be by herself in this huge home. She filled her time with visiting some friends that also went to Grand Isle in the summer. Some of them lived in her home town.
Edna had met another man Alcee Arobin at the horse races. He was a friend of a friend. She was now starting to have feelings for this fella as well.
Some time went by before Edna ran into Robert at a mutual friends house. He said he just got back the day before. Edna was upset that he hadn't contacted her the second he got back.
Edna ran into Robert again in someones sitting garden. Then at another time when he went to her new home and told her that he had always loved her but knew that he could never have her because she was a married woman. In the meantime, someone knocked on the door and told Edna that one of her friends needed some help. Robert stayed behind at her house. But when Edna returned, Robert had left a letter saying goodbye and that he loved her. She stayed up all night in turmoil.
The very next day, she went back to the house that her and husband lived in. The husband still lived there but Edna moved into a smaller house by herself, while her husband was gone on his work related trip and was still gone. Edna also threw a moving out party and sent the bill to her husband. The house was being renovated while Leonce was gone. But for some reason, Edna went to the house to go swimming down by the beach after being up all night. She kept swimming further and further out and did not look back. She grew more tired. She just learned to swim the summer before at Grand Isle. And she drowned. That's how the story ended.
This book was very controversial for Kate Chopin the author. This book was first published in 1899. Kate Chopin wrote a few books before 'The Awakening.' And this ended up being her last book she wrote. Society did not except this book and it was banned from libraries and schools. They didn't like the ending for the fact that Edna committed suicide. Which I do not understand. I read 'Ethan Frome' before and it ended where the two characters wanted to take their own lives because they couldn't be together. But the suicide attempt failed and the woman became paralyzed. Ethan Frome and his wife ended up taking care of the young mistress. Bizarre, but that was the ending. So why did they give Kate Chopin such a hard time about her book, 'The Awakening?' Kate Chopin never wrote another book because of the rejection of 'The Awakening.' Which is sad because I think she was a very good writer. Even though Kate Chopin didn't elaborate on the feelings Edna was having, you still knew that Edna was falling in love with another man. Where as Edith Wharton's book, 'Ethan Frome,' elaborated more on the feelings of falling in love with a lover. So what's the big deal, why did they give Kate Chopin such a hard time? Imagine all the great books that woman could have written. I think she writes beautifully. The story moves along very quickly which I like. It doesn't languish on and on.
Anyhow, what I did not like about the story was that she had no love toward her husband. She loved her children but could not commit to raising them. And the obvious, that Edna committed suicide. I know that it's just a fictional story but I've been married for 20 years and love my children. My family are my whole life. If I didn't have them, what would be the point in living? I would never ever think of suicide. How selfish. Edna's children needed her. Divorce your husband but don't leave your kids by committing suicide. I'm talking about the story as if were true or something but I could see this story happening in today's society.
None the less, this book was excellent! I'm so glad that it was suggested to me by my daughter. Thanks Jess! I'm on my way to the book store to find me another classic. I'm so excited, I wonder which book I'll begin next. Whatever it is, I'll be sure to post it here on my blog so you'll know to.
Happy reading everyone!

No comments: