Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde~



I really liked the book. Therefore, I have this book ****four stars. It was very good. I wish it was a little bit of a longer. Reading such long novels for the past two books is probably why I thought this one to be short. But I'm glad I read it. I have been wanting to read this book for awhile now.

This book did keep my interest in what was coming around the corner, so to speak. I love books like that.

I also loved the setting of the book taking place in London. You really did feel the cool, damp, dark, misty, fogginess as the author took you down the streets of London. Loved that feel to it. It did add the tone to the story. It wasn't a spooky story but strange I guess is a good way to describe this book.

Robert Louis Stevenson's book was said that it could have been about the modern killer at that time of Jack the Ripper.

This book would be excellent for a book club. Don't want to tell you the whole story but here are a few questions that I will leave you with. Did Dr. Jekyll really want to be bad? Is that why Dr. Jekyll created a potion? Because as the story went on, it said that there was a time when Dr. Jekyll was beginning to like the bad ways of Mr. Hyde. Dr. Jekyll was beginning to feel this tugging to live out his life more as Mr. Hyde than Dr. Jekyll. But because of what happened at the end of the story, one might have changed their minds. I don't know. It would be a great book up for discussion with friends or a book club.

I wasn't positive that I had understood the end of the story. So I reread a couple of paragraphs at the end. Then to make sure I understood it, I took a quiz on the Cliffs Notes web page. I have the link in my blog's side bar. And yep, I understood it correctly. I only missed two questions on the quiz. That quiz was fun to do too. I'll have to do that again with my next read.

Until next time,

Happy reading!

Anne

No comments: